Travel & Accommodations
Where to stay
Hotel accommodation options in Berkeley are limited. The following recommended hotels are located within walking distance of the Institute. We also encourage you to look for discount rates online via third party booking sites (e.g. kayak.com, hotels.com, etc.)
- The Graduate Berkeley, 2600 Durant Ave (15 min walk to venue)
- Berkeley City Club, 2315 Durant Ave (20 min walk to venue)
- Bancroft Hotel, 2680 Bancroft Way (12 min walk to venue)
- Call (510) 549-1000 to make a reservation at the “UC Rate” ($139/night + tax) for the Building LLTDM Institute
- Hotel Shattuck Plaza, 2086 Allston Way (22 min walk to venue)
If you choose to do a private rental from Airbnb or other services, search for listings in these nearby neighborhoods:
- North Berkeley
- Downtown Berkeley
Getting to Berkeley
Take the BART connector train to Coliseum Station, and then board a Richmond train to Downtown Berkeley. The BART connector is free, but you will need to purchase a ticket upon exiting in order to board the train at Coliseum.
Approximate travel time: 50 minutes (including connector). Cost: $9.30.
Follow signs in the terminal to Airtrain and take a Red Line train to BART. Airtrain is free but you will need to purchase a BART ticket on the platform where you exit. Board a Downtown San Francisco/Antioch (or Pittsburg) train. Transfer at 19th Street Oakland to a Richmond-bound train and get off at Downtown Berkeley.
Approximate travel time: 1 hour (excluding Airtrain).
Note that BART trains stop running around midnight. For detailed schedules and route-planning, see www.bart.gov.
Car, taxi, and rideshare
- From OAK: Travel time is approximately 35-45 minutes depending on traffic. Estimated taxi fare: $40-50. Estimated rideshare cost: $25-30.
- From SFO: Travel time is approximately 45-60 minutes depending on traffic. Estimated taxi fare: $80-100+. Estimated rideshare cost: $45-50.
- Bayporter Express (shared passenger shuttle van). Approximate fares from Berkeley are $29 to OAK and $28 to SFO.
- Super Shuttle. Fares vary by service type. See website for details.
Berkeley city buses are operated by AC Transit. Lines 36 and 52 are available from Downtown Berkeley and stop at the intersection of Piedmont Ave. and Bancroft Ave. View fares. Real-time departures are available on the AC Transit website and via smartphone transit apps such as NextBus. All buses are equipped with wheelchair lifts and bike racks. View AC transit maps and timetables.
We recommend using public transit or taxi service as parking options around campus are limited and expensive. Read more about visitor parking.
If you are parking on the street, please read signs and meters carefully for restrictions.